Come they told me, Pa rum pum pum pum, goalless Roar and Victory, Pa rum pum pum pum


There was a bit of a change with some Saturday morning Dub action between Melbourne Victory and Brisbane Roar after their match was rescheduled due to the heat in Victoria on Friday.  (In case you missed it parts of Melbourne hit 46 degrees so safety first!) It was a nice change to have some W-League football early on a Saturday in more comfortable and safe conditions for the players, officials and fans alike.

The Vuck were looking for a win after losing to league leaders City in the Melbourne Derby last week, only conceding to the league leaders in the 89th minute. Whilst the Roar had the chance to win three in a row if they could get the job done against the Victory.

It was the visitors with the first chance in the 2nd minute through Riley but it went out for a goal kick. A minute later it was Rosie Sutton with the Victory’s first opportunity in front of goal but she headed Jenkins’ cross wide.

The opening few minutes also saw Tameka Yallop dominating down the right wing sending in a couple of dangerous crosses into the area in the 5th minute and then earning a free kick after drawing a foul from Jenna McCormick in the 7th.

Casey Dumont was called into action and she delivered a great save at her near post to deny Baisden in the 17th. To make those in Navy Blue a little nervous Katrina Gorry then went firing at goal but couldn’t find the back of the net.

It was Dumont in the 28th with a smother at Yallop’s feet and I was getting a little nervous now. As the first half was progressing it looked like the visitors were gaining momentum and finding their rhythm. It was the Roar with the last notable chance of the half in the 36th following a great link up in play between Hayley Raso and Rylee Baisden, who was denied by Dumont.

Overall a fairly enjoyable first half, could either side find the back of the net in the second though?

The opening few minutes of the second half started with both sides trying to hold onto possession and push forward. This time it was Vuck Captain Tats Dowie who squared the ball across the face of goal in the 52nd but Mackenzie Arnold was there to intervene for the Roar.

Dumont again (seriously love watching her keep) denied the Roar, saving Baisden’s volley and making it look easy in the 59th minute. As the second half was progressing it was the home side who were enjoying most of the possession in their opponent’s half but could they break the deadlock?

On the opposite end of the pitch, Dumont again (TELL ME SHE ISN’T INCREDIBLE) pulled out another save in 74th Palmer. 

Carson Pickett tried to find a winner for the Roar in the 83rd but her shot was just inches wide from the bottom corner. I was getting a little nervous now, wanting my Vuck girls to at least draw if they couldn’t find a winner. Dowie tried to find the back of the net in the 90th but was denied in a one-on-one opportunity at goal.

In the end the points were split between the Victory and Roar, in a match where for a fair chunk of the match the sides looked even. Victory are on the road next week, facing Perth on Saturday, while the Roar host the Jets next Sunday. Both winnable matches for the Vuck and Roar so let us wait and see.

By Jakie Manevski

Leave a Reply