Redmayne Finishes On Top Amid Dirty Thirties Happy Ending


There was a happy ending for Redmayne’s dirty thirty celebration on Sunday afternoon as Adelaide United ended their four-game undefeated streak, falling 1-0 to a team who had sky blue balls following their mid-week loss to Perth.

Corica made several changes to the team line-up, with Round 11 hattrick hero Brosque benched due to the demanding “Summer of Football” schedule and Tratt replacing Retre at right back. De Silva earnt himself a start, whilst Ninkovic remained in the starting XI. First, it’s Sydney with the salary cap rumours, and now they’re not giving out paternity leave as the January transfer window saw Sydney gain a mini Ninkovic less than 48 hours prior; guaranteeing some future mini sausage rolls. Adelaide came in with the one change following their hump day victory to Victory, as Lia came back in following suspension to replace Konstandopoulos.

Now there are several questions in life that we will never definitively know the answer to. What truly happens after we die? Why can’t dogs live as long as humans? And what happens during training sessions when teams are practising short corners that makes them think it is a good idea to whip them out time after time during a game? Adelaide continued to come up flat throughout the game, failing to capitalise on set pieces as they continued to choose the short corner route; although perhaps this wasn’t such a bad idea, as there were more noughts than successful crosses making their way to Ilsø and Blackwood.

The 12th minute saw Isaías be rewarded for a spectacular tackle against Ninkovic, by having a free kick at the top of the box given against him. Lowy falling off the stage during the grand final presentation was more of a foul than this. Up steps de Jong, beating the wall and stunning Izzo, to find the back of the net.

Sydney came out stronger in the second half, with Tratt doubling their lead just 3 minutes in with a header to the centre of the box following a O’Neill cross.

Adelaide needed a hero, with Blackwood putting his hand up to be that man, going down in the box following a Calver foul. With a point to the spot, Goodwin slips in the shot and adds a point to the board for Adelaide.

It all appeared to be done for Adelaide in the 62nd as United’s defensive effort, or lack thereof, gifted ALF a goal following a Zullo back heel. But like the unwanted gift that you take down to your local Saver’s the next day, VAR handed the goal back as it was determined ALF was offside.

Sydney continued to press for a third with Brosque failing to convert a sitter in the 86th as his left foot shot blasted wide as he went for power rather than precision, proving that sometimes a light touch is all that is needed to finish.

Orgasmic scenes briefly ensued for Adelaide fans as Mileusnic appeared to snatch a 90th minute equaliser following an Isaías through-ball, only to be called off-side.

The final play of the game can best be summed up by the eloquent post-match interview words of MOTM Tratt, who was more informative than a fantail wrapper. “Thank f*ck for Redders, who definitely saved us” following a 93rd minute scramble in the box that somehow saw Redmayne deflect a Kitto close range right footed shot to deny a last-minute point grab.

Adelaide next face WSW on Friday night (who definitely have blue balls), whilst Sydney take on the 7th placed Jets who need to find form to claw their way back into the 6.

By Hayley Leedham

Leave a Reply