Toure turns up for Adelaide


The FFA Cup reigning champions met Olympic at their ‘cursed’ ground, Perry Park on a Windy Queensland Winter’s night. The same ground they lost to Redlands United during their hangover season, after winning the A-League double.

With Olympic out of their comfort zone, away from home themselves, there were no widely publicised yiros’s or other delicious food so to be honest I’m not too sure what I have to say about the match but I’ll give it a go.

Even before kick off, both teams had it all to do. By facing the brutal wind. As we’ve all established, mother nature is pissed off at Queensland and this is certainly not limited to game day. The wind was as brutal as Yia Yia when you tell her you’re quitting uni.

The game started quite flat but as always in Brisbane, the atmosphere was not. The ‘Olympic Ultras’ as the commentary described, were 110% getting behind their team. Adelaide’s recently promoted, Al Hassan Toure opened the scoring 9 minutes in. Proving to be more profitable for the Adelaide United Football Club than soft serve cones are for McDonalds.

Costa Psaros responded to the youth prodigy, Toure, with a goal of his own after beating Jordan Elsey. The centre back drawn out of position, struggled to take back control of his man, giving Olympic some confidence after an underwhelming opening to the match.

Adelaide United continued to dominate with a second Toure goal after Elsey stirred it into the mixer. The Reds’ first half success didn’t come without concern as we watched Paul Izzo nearly pull a Galekovic and give away the ball which made it’s way cross-box and ended up in the back of the net. Unfortunately for Olympic the goal was called offside. Cue the ‘VAR’ chants.

Something tells me Ben Cahn figuratively backhanded Olympic at half time because they came out with fireworks up their asses. Again, figuratively. During the second half, Olympic’s wonder-man, Chris Lucas was released from his naughty corner that is the bench. Placed there due to missing 5 training sessions in the lead up to this match, coach Cahn stuck to his disciplinary morals and may have come off as a genius if Olympic were to be successful. In the 64th minute Lucas converted a penalty after Lia got handsy in the box, equalising with the reigning champions.

The game opened right up after the equaliser and Olympic found their feet. Pushing every muscle of their bodies, about as desperate as me on Tinder after a few wines.

As referee Chris Beath was giving out penalty’s like they’re Fruchocs at half time, the reds got theirs too. With a little clip in the box, Adelaide receive their spot kick and substitute George Blackwood slots it home with ease.

Adelaide were able to hold onto their 3-2 lead and are through to the Quarter Finals. The reigning champions and FFA Cup specialists can enjoy the hayfever of Brisbane all while the lads of Olympic have to be back at work at 7:30am tomorrow.

By Rose Valente

Featured Image from

Leave a Reply